ShoreTrooper build WIP

Redaktør: Garrison Captain of the Guard

Brugeravatar
Danish Garrison Executive Officer
Geografisk sted: Nibe, Farstrup

ShoreTrooper build WIP

Indlæg af 73012 »

Well, as a lot of people are in the process of building this armor, I am too and I thought I like to share what I've done so far.

It's a fun project, not for a beginner, but if you're up to the challenge, by all means, go for it.

There are still a lot of speculation as to what parts of the "costume" look like and where they come from, such as the Gloves, Under shirt and even the Pants. So be aware of these issues. I myself did a lot of studying and research of what they could have used, what they looked like, what they used in the past and the basic real world basis of each faction. It's a long process, but in the end, well worth it.

I'll start you all off with the Armor parts. Please... Be very weary of who you get these from, as this is the heart and soul of the whole outfit. There are a few makers out there, Backstage Props, 850 Armor works and "Jimmiroqui", just to name a few. Be aware, there are a lot of 3d printer users out there who do print them out, but with poor quality to detail, screen accuracy and Layering from the print itself.

Jimmiroqui and 850-armor-works as far as I know, hasn't 3d printed the whole armor, but sculptured most of the parts from the ground up. This being said, 850-armor-works has the worst kit out there in my opinion. I can say this, as I've purchased this armor without looking things property.

The 850-armor-works kit is riddled with inaccuracies, missing details and poor vacuum forming. In short, I could have made it better myself. Each and every sharp corner is rounded by at least 5mm radius edge. There is a 5 to 8mm difference from the right to left side of the Ab, Chest and Back plates.

I do not, and will not recommend this armor to anyone out there, there are far better choices out there for the same price.

Anyways. Let's get started. Here are a few pictures of my "Work In Progress" of my armor build.

First up, the chest plate. I forgot to take a before photo but this kit is all black abs plastic. I've added the white abs to get it more screen accurate.

Billede
Billede

It isn't done yet, as you can see I'm still building it up. But it's getting there.

The Ab section is in for a complete rebuild as you can see from the original to what I've done so far.

Billede
Billede

And the back plate that I'm just getting started on... Wow! What a mess. The backpack itself is supposed to be 24cm wide, mine is only 19cm. Just for starters...

Billede
Billede
Billede

This is what I've done so far... Feel pee to ask me anything about this build. I probably can help you out more than you might think.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Brugeravatar
Danish Garrison Trooper
Danish Garrison Trooper
Geografisk sted: Esbjerg V
Kontakt:

Re: ShoreTrooper build WIP

Indlæg af 17126 »

:o WOW Glad I dident buy that one :o Good luck making it right
Your sword please we dont want to make a mess in front of the Chancellor :lol:

Brugeravatar
bobfet1138

Indlæg af bobfet1138 »

Hi, I was wondering how this (re)build of yours is going. I also purchased the 850 Armor Works Shoretrooper V3 kit and just recently received it. I noticed the same problems you pointed out with accuracy and symmetry. Things I thought looked okay in the photos. The only reason I chose the 850 was because BSP was a little high for me after shipping was added. I wish I had spent the extra money just for the time I'm going to spend fixing this one.

I'd like to keep up with your build and share my fixes once I get started. I've done auto body repair for the past 17 years and we do a lot of ABS bumper repairs. The body filler usually sticks well to the thicker plastic with proper prepping. I was curious how your bondo is doing on the thinner chest plate, and if you plan on reinforcing the back side with anything.

I plan on applying for the 501st with this kit once I finish, and I apologize for posting as a non-member. You were the only other person I've found with this kit so far. I look forward to your updates!

Brugeravatar

Indlæg af 73012 »

Oh yes. I've been working away on this build in between "commission projects" for others.

At the moment I'm working on the back armour. That piece has been a total rebuild. The width was way off, the 850 Armor has a width, of the Backpack thing, of 19cm where as the correct width is 24cm. Not only that, the 2 square boxes are square, 850 isn't.

So I've been working on a total rebuild of the back armour and I'll be building it up on top of the 850 Armor.

Here are a few photos of that progress.

BilledeBilledeBillede

And here's 850 Armor back armour.

BilledeBillede

The Bondo holds really well. I use 3 different types of "bondo". I use the typical 2 part bondo for large areas, then spot bondo for smaller areas and then I use "sludge" which is melted abs plastic to fill in other areas or to build up an area.

I have been thinking of using fiberglass to reinforce the inside... but I'm afraid if it'll make it more brittle. I have very little experience with fiberglass work.

I look forward to see what you do and think of as ypu go along in rebuilding your 850 kit.

Brugeravatar
bobfet1138

Indlæg af bobfet1138 »

Hey, thanks for the update. Yours is looking really good, nice job.

On the V3 it looks like they widened the backpack. Mine is a little over 23cm, so I might leave it alone and rebuild the drop boxes like you did. I'm still debating on fixing the bottom part that sticks out top far.

Billede

My chest plate is the same with crooked measurements and soft edges. Also, that tri-fold bottom section is no good. I'd like to redo it all just like yours.

Billede

I'm assuming you're rebuilding the collar, too? Were you going to attach it to the backplate or have a removable one?

My shoulders do not line up in any way and the collar doesnt overlap like they designed it. They are still rough cut, so maybe it'll straighten out. It's really weird this is the V3 and that's still a problem.

Billede

Thanks again for the updates. I'm feeling motivated now haha.

Brugeravatar

Indlæg af 73012 »

I haven't been able to work on my for a while... I've had a few commission jobs I had to get out before I can get back to "my project". =)

I haven't replied to your post yet, sorry about that.
bobfet1138 skrev:Hey, thanks for the update. Yours is looking really good, nice job.

On the V3 it looks like they widened the backpack. Mine is a little over 23cm, so I might leave it alone and rebuild the drop boxes like you did. I'm still debating on fixing the bottom part that sticks out top far.

I'd definitely rebuild the 2 box's... Thiers just sucks... Sorry, but they do... If I were you, since you're rebuilding the top 2 box's, do yourself a favor and rebuild the bottom left one too. It's easy to do and the Back inside plate is "floating" in the back. You can't see the inner walls as they are further in from the outside edges.

Billede

My chest plate is the same with crooked measurements and soft edges. Also, that tri-fold bottom section is no good. I'd like to redo it all just like yours.

Yeah... It's this piece I was most upset with as it's a "focal point" for the whole armor. I'm still not done with mine, but I'm almost there. The bottom edge of the Chest piece is to long, it needs to be trimmed about 1.5cm-2cm up from the bottom. The oval thing needs to be moved up too about the same as the bottom edge.

You'll want to leave about 1.5cm at the bottom edge to bend slightly into the body... Not a 90deg angle as they made it, but just slightly bent from flat.

Billede

I'm assuming you're rebuilding the collar, too? Were you going to attach it to the backplate or have a removable one?

Oh yes, I'm rebuilding this part... I haven't figured out how I'll connect it to the armor, but I'll cross that hurdle when I get there.

My shoulders do not line up in any way and the collar doesnt overlap like they designed it. They are still rough cut, so maybe it'll straighten out. It's really weird this is the V3 and that's still a problem.

As for the shoulders, as I can see from newer photos of the Movie Armor on display, the Backplate and Chestplate do not connect at all. Infact, there is a gap af about 5cm or so between the to pieces. The Shoulder Straps are the only thing that touches both sections at the top, connecting the 2 together.

Billede

Thanks again for the updates. I'm feeling motivated now haha.

Brugeravatar

Indlæg af 73012 »

I must add that this photo was either taken by or just uploaded by Back Stage Props.

It clearly shows the top of the Backpack box, neck ring and the distance from the back armor to the chest armor.

Billede

Brugeravatar
bobfet1138

Indlæg af bobfet1138 »

73012 skrev:I must add that this photo was either taken by or just uploaded by Back Stage Props.

It clearly shows the top of the Backpack box, neck ring and the distance from the back armor to the chest armor.
Ahhh, I see. I noticed that gap before, but I wasn't sure if it was a bad placement on the mannequin or not. Now I can see the gap clearly in most pictures. I was thrown off because 850's tutorial on facebook showed them overlapping the shoulders.

I'm really hoping to get to see them in person at Celebration next week.

Brugeravatar

Re: RE: Re: ShoreTrooper build WIP

Indlæg af 73012 »

bobfet1138 skrev:
73012 skrev:I must add that this photo was either taken by or just uploaded by Back Stage Props.

Ahhh, I see. I noticed that gap before, but I wasn't sure if it was a bad placement on the mannequin or not. Now I can see the gap clearly in most pictures. I was thrown off because 850's tutorial on facebook showed them overlapping the shoulders.

I'm really hoping to get to see them in person at Celebration next week.
If you do, please take a crap load of photos and share them here. =)

Brugeravatar

Indlæg af 73012 »

Just a quick update on my progress.

I'm in the final rounds of completing the Chest and Ab pieces of the armor.

It's getting there... With lots of patience, loads of studying movie stills and so forth, I'm finally getting there.

I've also been teaching myself a new skill, 3d design... I decided to design the E-22 Blaster Rifle myself, as I felt, from what i can see, a lot of the ones out there and especially the one I have from 850-armor-works, just don't quite have the attention to detail, accuracy and ballance between 3d print and handmade possibilities, such as only printing out the stuff that makes sense to print out and using things that are all ready made to add to it.BilledeBilledeBilledeBillede

Besvar